Thankfully we’re out of that Christmas deep freeze that made our cars not start and pipes burst…so now we can actually enjoy going outside again. Next weekend, the 13th/14th, there is a “Deep Freeze Festival” happening on 118th ave
“We are pleased to announce that the eleventh-annual Deep Freeze: Byzantine Winter Festival will be held on January 13 & 14, 2018 and will be situated along four closed blocks of Alberta (118) Avenue between 90 and 95 Streets.
The Deep Freeze Byzantine Winter Festival is a free family event that brings together Ukrainian, Franco-Albertan, Franco-African, Indigenous, and Acadian/East Coast communities to revel in the magic and beauty of winter. Come embrace our cold northern climate by melding artistic panache with authentic cultural and heritage winter games!
This year’s theme Into The Winter Grove will offer exciting opportunities for both patrons and artists creating unexpected experiences celebrating the community through its urban landscape and exceptional spaces.”
There is so much happening with this festival, you can check out the entire schedule here, but some of my favs will be;
- Street hockey tournament, Saturday and Sunday from noon – 5:45
- Horse and Wagon rides, both days, from noon – 5:45
- Ice skating/ice slides, Saturday noon – 10 & Sunday noon – 6:00
- Old tyme curling, Saturday noon – 10 & Sunday noon – 6:00
- Frozen X’s and O’s
- Hot Dog & Marshmallow roast
- Fireworks!! Saturday night starting at 6:00