I decided to do a bit of a twist on my “Country Music Moms” blog and ask a DAD in the biz!!
Dads are just as huge a part of the pregnancy and parenting process! Lots of times we just assume that Mom knows everything – but to hear it from a dad’s perspective is pretty special!
I caught up with Tebey this summer at the Darwell Barnburner and told him my idea for this blog and he was ALL for it! One thing you know immediately when you meet Tebey – is that he has major love for his family!
He and his wife Bridget have been together for 12 years and they have two super cute kids named Elle, who was born in 2012, and River who was born in 2015!
Check out his answers – I love that he takes pride in his diaper changing skills!
- How did you feel the moment you found out you were going to be a dad?
It’s one of those moments like you see in the movies. Time kind of stands still and you’re just flooded with emotions. For my son, we actually found out the day I was playing Cavendish Beach Festival out in PEI. So I definitely had a lot running through my head during that show!
- How did your wife share the news with you?
She told me she had a feeling she might be pregnant, so when she took the pregnancy test we both looked at it together.
- How did you tell your families?
For our first, we were having a big family dinner and I may or may not have had too much to drink and just kinda blurted it out lol. When we found out we were pregnant for the second time, we emailed our families a picture of our daughter wearing a t-shirt that said ‘big sister’.
- What were you most excited / scared for ?
I wouldn’t say I was scared. More nervous that I wouldn’t know what to do. As a first time parent you’re kinda going in blind. You just read a ton of books and learn as you go.
- Did your wife have any pregnancy cravings? Did you have to make any trips out to the store to get it NOW??
Not really. I think she’s one of the few women who didn’t have any cravings.
- Did you find out the gender before your children were born? Why or why not?
Nope. We wanted the sex of both children to be a surprise.
- Of course as a Dad- you may not have first hand Labour Advice for us girls but as a Dad what was your experience like when your wife was in labour?
I can’t even imagine the pain my wife was going through during labour. She was adamant about not using an epidural. She was such a trooper. That being said, my advice for men would be to do anything and everything she wants during labour! Whatever it takes to make her as comfortable as possible.
- When you first saw your newborn children – what was the first thing to go through your mind?
Once again, it was a flood of emotions. Unconditional love, joy, relief that the baby was healthy. It’s quite the emotional cocktail.
- Advice you were given that helped the most as a new dad? Any “Dad Hacks” or shortcuts you can let us in on?
The best advice I was given is ‘sleep when baby sleeps’. That definitely came in handy. Other than that, patience is important, especially during the ‘terrible twos’. Oh, and enjoy every moment. They really do grow up real fast.
- How fast can you change a diaper?
Pretty fast actually! I change diapers daily. I think I’m pretty good at it!
- What has changed the most since becoming a dad?
Before you have children it’s all about you. Now it’s all about my kids. I put them first in every aspect of my life.
- What’s the BEST thing about being a dad?
There’s too many to count. But for me it’s knowing how much my kids love andlook up to me. I can see it in their eyes every time they look at me. I also love watching them discover things in their little world. From how to use a spoon, to my daughter learning to use the iPad all by herself!
Thank you SO much to Tebey for taking the time to chat with me – and thanks to YOU for reading my blog and following along – as I always say – we’re all in this adventure together!
: ) Jacks xoxo