Yes I’ve jumped on the bandwagon. My new favorite thing is coconut oil. I’ve been hearing about this stuff (I’m sure you have too) for a while now, but it took me a while to try it out. Below is a list from swansonvitamins.com of 50 different uses for coconut oil. Now I’ve tried only a fraction of these idea’s, but so far I’m lovin’ the stuff. Especially for my skin.
My previous blog post was about an awesome canoe adventure I went on this past weekend. The part I didn’t really mention was how sunburned my poor knees got. I’m a very pale person. I wear SPF 60 sunblock. But for some reason, my legs rarely, rarely ever burn, so I don’t put sunscreen on them. Unless I’m sitting in a canoe on the water all day, then look out. Super red knees. Anyway, a sunburn for me usually goes like this. Red, ow ow ow for about a week, moisturise as much as possible to prevent peeling, peel anyway, grumble about peeling, hope it turns into a tan, skin goes back to white. Sounds fun eh? It’s not. After this latest sunburn I thought I’d try coconut oil as my moisturiser. After a couple days it didn’t hurt any more, and 4 days later, it’s actually turning into a tan! HALLELUJAH!! Miracle lotion! Therefore making coconut oil my new favorite thing. I’ve also been using it in my hair. Everyone loves super soft hair. Loving it for that too!
What’s your experience with coconut oil? What do you use it for?
Cooking and Eating
Other Healthy Uses for Coconut Oil
40) Homemade Toothpaste – Combine equal parts coconut oil and baking soda. Sweeten with stevia and flavor with your favorite essential oil.
41) Aromatherapy – Whether you like coconut or not, the soothing aroma of coconut oil is pleasing to us all and can help us wind down after a long, stressful day. Read The Beginner’s Guide to Aromatherapy.
42) Wound Care – Although you may not be ready to give up your Neosporin, coconut oil can even be used as a topical protector for wounds, shielding them with a thin chemical layer from outside contaminants. You can apply a small amount of coconut oil to small scrapes and cuts.
43) Metabolism Booster – 2 tablespoons per day are proven to rev up your metabolism.
44) Thyroid Supporter – Regular coconut oil consumption has been shown to support healthy thyroid function.
45) Energizer – 1 teaspoon can give you a burst of energy instead of turning towards a caffeinated energy drink.
46) Oil Pulling – Swish coconut oil around in your mouth for 10 minutes before brushing. Read next: Oil Pulling: Health Benefits or Healthy Hype?
Using Coconut Oil Around The House
47) Season a Cast Iron Pan – Here is a nice explanation of how to season a cast iron pan with coconut oil.
48) Use it as a lubricant on small motors/electronics – One Facebook fan uses it to keep his juicer’s motor in top working condition.
Coconut Oil for Animals
49) Feed it to your Dog or Cat – Coconut oil isn’t just healthy for humans. Here is some good info on the benefits for dogs and cats.
50) Put It On Your Cat’s Paw – Put half a teaspoon on your kitty’s paw to keep a shiny coat and cut down on hairballs.